Our history, our people and our principles
ESB's hydro-electric projects have harnessed 75% of the country's water power potential.
The Liffey scheme was an example of the co-operation of engineers for a dual purpose. In creating the water storage for the power stations at Poulaphouca, Golden Falls and Leixlip, the vital need for increased water supplies to Dublin was met by the 5,600 acre reservoir.
The scheme was undertaken in three stages - beginning in 1937 and ending in 1949.
Before the Liffey project was completed, another major project was started on the River Erne to provide two hydro-electric stations, Cliff and Cathleen's Fall, between Belleek and Ballyshannon in Co.Donegal.
In Munster, studies of the River Lee indicated that it could be harnessed profitably and two stations were built - one at Carrigadrohid and the other 11 miles lower down the river at Inniscarra.
The Clady River in Donegal also makes its contribution to the power resources through the station at Clady.