Our history, our people and our principles
- Location: Crolly, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- Technology: Hydro
- Capacity: 4MW
- Commissioned: 1959
Clady Hydroelectric Station is situated in the Gweedore area of Co. Donegal, 50km northwest of Letterkenny. The Clady Scheme was constructed in the mid-1950s and the station was first synchronised to the Donegal 38kV Network in 1959.
The power house is equipped with a horizontal Francis type turbine, coupled to a generator with a capacity of 4.2MW.
Dunlewey and Lough Nacung Loughs are situated in a valley 61m above sea level and are drained by the Clady River, which enters the sea at Bunbeg. The river has been partially diverted by Gweedore Weir into a 2.5km canal which runs across country to the rim of a deep valley which forms the tidal estuary of the Gweedore River. A 500m steel penstock carries the water from the canal down to the generating station at sea level.
The level of Dunlewey Lough has been raised by the construction of a dam at the promontory between the two lakes. The normal range of storage is from 60.96m O.D. to 63.70m O.D. Gweedore Weir has also raised the level of Lough Nacung with a storage range from 60.96m O.D. to 61.57m O.D.
(O.D. = Ordnance Datum)
Click images to zoom, click link to download.