Our history, our people and our principles
- Location: Inniscarra, Co Cork and Carrigadrohid, Co Cork
- Technology: Hydro
- Capacity: 27MW
- Commissioned: 1957
Lee Stations comprise two hydro plants at Inniscarra and Carrigadrohid which were built between 1952 and 1957. They joined the schemes of the rivers Shannon, Erne and Liffey to become ESB’s fourth major hydroelectric development.
This development involved the creation of two lakes in the Lee Valley which cover an area of 14km˛ and have a storage capacity of 45 million cubic meters.
Inniscarra and Carrigadrohid generating stations have a combined capacity of 27MW and produce almost 80 million units of electricity a year. The plant comprises vertical shaft Kaplan turbo generators.
At Inniscarra, there are two units, one 15MW and one 4MW. Both units consist of a Voith turbine with Brown Boveri generators which operate under an average head of 30m. At Carrigadrohid, there is one generating unit (Voith turbine/Siemens generator) with a capacity of 8MW operating under an average head of 13m.