• 2,000 homes, farms and businesses that lost supply during Storm Eleanor remain without power
• ESB Networks teams are continuing to work safely in wet and windy conditions towards restoring power to these customers tonight
• Of the customers who lost supply since this morning due to lightning and high winds today, 4,500 remain
• All but small pockets of customers will have power restored this evening
• Never touch or approach fallen wires. Report damage to the electricity network on 1850 372 999
Issued: 5 pm, Wednesday 3 January 2018
In difficult weather conditions, ESB teams have restored power to the vast majority of the 150,000 homes, farms and businesses that suffered loss of electricity supply during Storm Eleanor yesterday evening. As of 5pm, 2,000 customers who lost supply during the storm remain without power. Crews continue to work towards restoring power to remaining customers tonight.
High winds and lightning, mainly in the Midwest, has resulted in more outages today, and a further 4,500 homes, farms and businesses remain without power this evening as a result.
We expect that all but small pockets of ESB Networks customers will have their power restored this evening.
ESB Networks teams from less impacted areas of the country have been deployed to assist colleagues in the worst impacted areas. With high winds and rain forecast again for tomorrow, further outages can be expected and we wish to remind members of the public to remain alert to damage to the electricity network.
An Important Public Safety Message: If you come across fallen wires or damaged electricity network, never, ever touch or approach these as they are LIVE and extremely dangerous. Please report any damage to electricity infrastructure by calling 1850 372 999.
If your fault is not logged please report it here or on 1850 372 999. Customers should have their MPRN available to access recorded information specific to their location.
You can also check @ESBNetworks on Twitter for updates.
ESB Networks is reminding customers of the precautionary measures to take in the event of a power cut:
• Never approach broken lines or damaged poles, and keep children and animals away – report damage to ESB Networks at 1850 372 999 and listen to recorded messages carefully
• Turn off electric cookers, ovens, irons, etc. if electricity supply is lost
• Leave a light switched on so you know when power has been restored
• Take extra care if using candles, oil lamps or other naked flames
• Test smoke alarms with fresh batteries
• Ensure adequate ventilation if using gas heaters.
View ESB Networks' video on preparing for an outage during a storm at: