ESB Networks Press Release
Storm Ali Update – 8pm
- 67,000 homes, farms and businesses are still without power down from the peak of 186,000
- Estimated restoration times are available on the Powercheck app and powercheck.ie, ESBNetworks.ie
- ESB Networks Crews will work late into the night to restore supply before resuming at first light tomorrow
Issued: 8pm, Wednesday 19 September 2018
ESB Networks crews worked throughout the day to restore power to 119,000 homes, farms and businesses who lost supply due to the impact of Storm Ali. At the height of the storm, 186,000 customers were impacted. Approximately 67,000 remain without power.
All available resources from ESB Networks are deployed to carry out repairs to the network and restore power and will work late into the evening and will resume at first light tomorrow morning.
Based on experience of previous storms, ESB Networks estimates that it will take up to three days to restore power to all homes, farms and businesses affected. However, we expect the vast majority will have their power restored much earlier.
An Important Public Safety Message: There are 2,000 faults on our networks meaning that there is extensive damage with low hanging and fallen lines nationwide. We urge the public to remain vigilant, stay clear and to ring 1850372999 if they spot a low or fallen ESB line. They are a risk to life.
Real time information on power outages and restoration times is available at: www.esbpowercheck.ie with further information available at: https://www.esbnetworks.ie/power-outages-updates/latest-updates
If your fault is not logged please report it at https://www.esbnetworks.ie/power-outages-updates/report-a-power-outage. Customers should have their MPRN available to access recorded information specific to their location. You can also check @ESBNetworks on Twitter for updates.
ESB Networks is reminding customers of the precautionary measures to take in the event of a power cut:
• Never approach broken lines or damaged poles, and keep children and animals away – report damage to ESB Networks at 1850 372 999 and listen to recorded messages carefully
• Turn off electric cookers, ovens, irons, etc. if electricity supply is lost
• Leave a light switched on so you know when power has been restored
• Take extra care if using candles, oil lamps or other naked flames
• Test smoke alarms with fresh batteries
• Ensure adequate ventilation if using gas heaters.
Further updates will be provided on Thursday morning.
Images from Storm Ali can be downloaded here.
For Media Queries, please contact the ESB Press Office: 01 702 6009 / 087 2557186