ESB Networks Press Release
- 140,000 electricity customers are without power due to over 750 separate faults
19 September 2018, 10.45am
Gale force winds from Storm Ali with gusts of over 140 km/h over the course of this morning have caused damage to the electricity network affecting more than 140,000 homes, farms and businesses. The damage is mainly attributable to fallen trees on overhead lines as a result of the high winds.
ESB Networks crews have been dispatched to the most affected areas, making the electricity network safe and assessing the damage, so that they can restore power as quickly and effectively as possible.
The areas most affected include:
ESB Networks apologises for any inconvenience caused.
ESB Networks has mobilised repair crews who are currently working in very difficult conditions to restore power as quickly as possible to affected customers, once it is safe to do so.
Real time information on power outages and restoration times is available on the PowerCheck App or www.esbpowercheck.ie.
An Important Public Safety Message: If you come across fallen wires or damaged electricity network, never, ever touch or approach these as they are LIVE and extremely dangerous. Please report any damage to electricity infrastructure by calling 1850 372 999.
If your fault is not logged please report it at here or on 1850 372 999. Customers should have their MPRN available to access recorded information specific to their location.
You can also check @ESBNetworks on Twitter for updates.
ESB Networks is reminding customers of the precautionary measures to take in the event of a power cut:
• Stay Safe, Stay Clear: Never approach broken lines or damaged poles, and keep children and animals away – report damage to ESB Networks at 1850 372 999 and listen to recorded messages carefully
• Turn off electric cookers, ovens, irons, etc. if electricity supply is lost
• Leave a light switched on so you know when power has been restored
• Take extra care if using candles, oil lamps or other naked flames
• Test smoke alarms with fresh batteries
• Ensure adequate ventilation if using gas heaters.
Media enquiries to:
ESB Press Office, 01 702 6009