- ESB Networks urges the public to remain vigilant of fallen trees and fallen power lines. Please treat all fallen wires as live and contact us at 1850 372 999. Stay safe, stay clear
- 3,600 electricity customers are currently without power
- 12,000 homes, farms and businesses have had power restored overnight since the onset of Storm Lorenzo
- ESB Networks crews worked overnight where safe to do so, mobilised again at first light and are working to restore power to the remaining homes and businesses without over the course of today
- Real time information on power outages and restoration times is available on the PowerCheck App and all safety information is on esbpowercheck.ie.
Issued: Friday 4 October, 11am
Gale force winds from Storm Lorenzo with gusts of over 100 km/h over the course of the night have caused damage to the electricity network currently affecting more than 3,600 homes, farms and businesses. The damage is mainly attributable to fallen trees on overhead lines as a result of the high winds.
The counties most affected include Longford, Mayo and Galway. ESB Networks teams restored supply to more than 12,000 families overnight where it was safe to do so.
Our crews were dispatched to the affected areas at first light, making the electricity network safe, assessing the damage, and restoring power as quickly and effectively as possible.
Real time information on power outages and restoration times is available on the PowerCheck App or www.esbpowercheck.ie.
An Important Public Safety Message: If you come across fallen trees, wires or damaged electricity network, never, ever touch or approach these as they may be LIVE and extremely dangerous. Please report any damage to electricity infrastructure by calling 1850 372 999.
If your fault is not logged please report it at here or on 1850 372 999. Customers should have their MPRN available to access recorded information specific to their location.
You can also check @ESBNetworks on Twitter for updates and website.
ESB Networks is reminding customers of the precautionary measures to take in the event of a power cut:
Stay Safe, Stay Clear: Never approach broken lines or damaged poles, and keep children and animals away – report damage to ESB Networks at 1850 372 999 and listen to recorded messages carefully
- Turn off electric cookers, ovens, irons, etc. if electricity supply is lost
- Leave a light switched on so you know when power has been restored
- Take extra care if using candles, oil lamps or other naked flames
- Test smoke alarms with fresh batteries
- Ensure adequate ventilation if using gas heaters.