13 December 2017
At this time of the year, ESB Networks is reminding all electricity customers to never take risks with electricity. In the home, make sure your own electrical system is in good condition.
When it comes to overhead wires and poles that ESB Networks uses to supply electricity to everyone, remember that electricity wires are always live and extremely dangerous.
In putting up outdoor Christmas lights and decorations, make sure to first check that there are no wires nearby. Electricity is very powerful, which is why you must always keep a safe distance. Make sure outdoor wiring and equipment is properly rated for outdoor use and plug them into a portable Residual Current Device (RCD, sometimes called a ‘trip switch’) for extra safety.
Storms and strong winds at this time of year can cause damage to electricity wires and poles, so always be alert and keep your distance. Remember fallen electricity wires are live and therefore dangerous to approach. Report any damage to the electricity network by contacting the ESB Networks’ emergency number immediately by phoning 1850 372 999 ( 24 hours/7 days).
Here are a few important safety tips from ESB Networks:
Electrical Safety Tips for the Home:
1. Only use electrical equipment, including Christmas lights, that are in good condition.
2. Check for frayed wires, loose connections, damaged or cracked plugs, any signs of discoloration. Disconnect immediately and replace. It is always safer to disconnect remotely at the distribution board.
3. Reduce the chances of causing a fire and keep decorations and combustible materials well away from light fittings and other sources of heat such as heaters, fireplaces, candles.
4. Switch off all electrical appliances, including Christmas lights, and phone chargers last thing at night and when leaving the house.
5. Always unwind extension cords completely to avoid overheating and don’t overload sockets with adaptors or extension blocks.
6. Test your Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms to ensure they are working.
7. Check that the RCD works by pushing the test button.
8. Always consult a registered electrical contractor; Information at www.safeelectric.ie
Safety Tips when outdoors – Always watch out for electricity wires and cables. Ask yourself the question Are You Sure It’s Safe:
• Electricity wires are always live; never approach.
• If you see fallen wires, keep clear and phone ESB Networks immediately.
• Always look up and watch out for overhead wires and poles.
• Never use ESB poles or wires to attach things to.
• Do not work near overhead wires.
Further information is available at www.esbnetworks.ie
In the event of a dangerous situation involving electricity wires , please contact the ESB Networks 24-HOUR EMERGENCY NUMBER – 1850 372 999
We wish all our customers a SAFE and Happy Christmas.