Diving into energy savings with one of Ireland's largest leisure centres
Working in partnership with Coral Leisure
As one of the largest leisure services provider in Ireland, Coral Leisure manages nine Council-owned sports and recreational centres, ensuring the safe and efficient operation of its facilities, as well as the health and wellbeing of its members and staff. Coral needed a partner that could deliver significant cost and energy saving solutions at scale, while managing the application and administration of grant funding, as well as the health and safety requirements of multiple projects with multiple vendors. Coral’s brief to ESB Smart Energy Services was straightforward, if not simple: find ways to reduce annual energy consumption. This meant cutting usage from 1,200 kWh/m2 to 900 kWh/m2
"ESB delivered a range of energy efficient solutions in Coral leisure centres across Ireland, contributing to a 25% reduction in our energy bills"
- Siobhan Tighe, Managing Director, Coral Leisure
Due to a cut off date for SEAI’s Better Energy Communities grant. ESB Smart Energy Services had only 90 days to implement 11 diverse projects at four locations. The tight schedule meant incredible feats of collaboration and coordination were required to deliver the project on time, and in accordance with strict health and safety specifications
- Energy-efficient LED lighting retrofits across all facilities.
- 50 kilowatt Combined Heat and Power-generating unit was installed in Cobh delivering the most significant results.
- LED technology offers the most energy efficient lighting option available. CHPs can offer cost savings in the tens of thousands.
- 15-25% reduction in energy costs
- 4,000 tonnes per annum carbon reduction
- Increased staff morale